20 Union Street, Oldham OL1 1BE. Tel : 01616787287
Pritchards Dental Practice
Dental Care for the whole family
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
CODE OF PRACTICE FOR PATIENT COMPLAINTS
In this practice we take complaints very seriously indeed and try to ensure that all patients are pleased with their experience of our service. When patients complain, they are dealt with courteously and promptly so that the matter is resolved as quickly as possible. This procedure is based on these objectives. Our aim is to react to complaints in the way in which we would want our complaint about a service to be handled. We learn from every mistake that we make and we respond to patients' concerns in a caring and sensitive way.
1. The person responsible for dealing with any complaint about the service which we provide is: David Morris
2. If a patient complains on the telephone or at the reception desk, we will listen to his or her complaint and offer to refer him or her to David Morris immediately.
The patient must make it clear that they are making a formal complaint.
If David is not available at the time, then the patient will be told when he will be able to talk to him and arrangements will be made for this to happen.
The member of staff will make a written record of the complaint and provide the patient with a copy as well as passing it on to the complaints manager. If we cannot arrange this within a reasonable period or if the patient does not wish to wait to discuss the matter, arrangements will be made for someone else to deal with it.
3. If the patient complains in writing or by email it will be passed on immediately to: David Morris.
4. If a complaint is about any aspect of clinical care or associated charges it will normally be referred to the dentist, unless the patient does not want this to happen.
5. We will acknowledge the patient's complaint in writing and enclose a copy of this code of practice as soon as possible normally within two working days and aim to have looked into your complaint within ten working days of the date when you raised it with us. We will offer to discuss the complaint at a time agreed with the patient, asking them how they would like to be kept informed of developments, for example by telephone, face to face meetings, letter or email. We will inform the patient about how the complaint will be handled and the likely time that the investigation will be completed. If the patient does not wish to discuss the complaint, we will still inform them of the expected timescale for completing the process.
6. We will seek to investigate the complaint speedily and efficiently and we will keep the patient regularly informed, as far as is reasonably practicable, as to the progress of the investigation. Investigations will normally be completed in 6 months.
7. When we have completed our investigation we will provide the patient with a full written report. The report will include an explanation of how the complaint has been considered, the conclusions reached in respect of each specific part of the complaint, details of any necessary remedial action and whether the practice is satisfied with any action it has already taken or will be taking as a result of the complaint.
8. Proper and comprehensive records are kept of any complaint received as well as any actions taken to improve services as a consequence of a complaint
9. If patients are not satisfied with the result of our procedure then a complaint may be made to:
All dental complaints are required to go to NHS England’s Contact Centre as below and patients should be signposted.
NHS ENGLAND PO Box 16738 Redditch B97 9PT
Electronically using NHS England’s email address
Please write ‘For the attention of the Complaints Manager’ in the subject line.
0300 311 22 33
(Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, excluding English Bank Holidays)
Your complaint will be noted and passed to the Complaints Manager
Tel: 0800 401 402
The Dental Complaints Service
The Lansdowne Building
2 Lansdowne Road
Tel: 08456 120 540
All Patients The General Dental Council, (the dentists' registration body)
37 Wimpole Street,
Details of all complaints are recorded in the complaints book and are discussed each month in the staff meeting.
r/v’d 17/04/10, 07/06/11,30/07/12, 09-07-13
R/v due 07/14 r/v date 30/06/14 next due 01/07/15 SE
Policies and procedures
CQC O1, O17